Breaking

5.01.2022

Greg C. Brown interview: "I can’t not play music. I love it, it is who I am."


1) Hello Greg! I admit, I am new to this band but everything I’ve heard so far I’m really liking, especially your last single “Building 7”. Thank you for your music!

Hey! Thank you so much. I’m glad you found us :).

2) Let us begin by asking first, how and when did Greg C. Brown start?

Wow! That’s a long story. I stated playing electric guitar back in 1982 and played in a few bands over the years. But, by 1993, I turned my attention to classical composition and guitar but 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with Stage 3B cancer and found if difficult to play my classical due to size of the guitar (it rubbed up against my chest where they put the chemo in) and the string tension. Much lighter tension on an electric. I have always written music and so I started writing again on the electric and was really cathartic during my cancer period. Those tracks turned into my first solo electric disc called “Chemobrain”. It all really evolved from there. 

3) What made you so keen about the music and the music industry? Why do you play music?

I can’t not play music. I love it, it is who I am. I’ve had people over the years wonder when I was going to give it up or get a “real job” but there is a creative fire in me that is happiest when I write music. Now the industry is a different beast. Necessary evil. There are some things like streaming I feel is criminal the amount an artist gets paid, we are talking fractions of a cent. I’m so glad things are coming back after the pandemic. Everyone is appreciating the arts again and I’m hoping it will be a long renaissance. 

4) What’s the overall reaction to “Greg C. Brown,” so far?

So far, so good. Looking forward to some live shows. The last disc “GCB” was released as digital only during the pandemic but we just signed with Soman records in France to do a physical release. The street date is July 30 and pre-order is already up on their website. 

5) What do you hope the listener experiences when they listen to the band?

It’s all instrumental, so I hope the listener journeys to many places. Sonic teleportation. I usually write with a scene or picture in my head, I hope it is always something that happens to them as well. Soundscapes.

6) About being on stage… Have you ever had to deal with performance anxiety?

OMG, yes. I’ve been doing this for 40 years now so it’s better. I used to work myself up into a fever. But it is way better now and I’ve learned to deal with it. I still get butterflies and the adrenaline rushes for sure. Practice and rehearsals help immensely. They say most anxiety happens when you’re unsure of the performance. There is a lot going on during a rock show as a performer. But with time, repetition and confidence in your crew it goes away. In essence, I think it is because it’s so important to me. That everyone has a good time and transported from life’s worries for a little while.

7) What is your songwriting process like? Where does your inspiration come from personally?

I try to challenge myself. There used to be more of a formula. Everything was based on the guitar riffs but really try to give more space to the other instruments in the band. I thing studying composition has really helped in giving each instrument its own space. Definitely something I’ll be playing with more in the future.  


8) What’s the band’s biggest problem you’ve had to face and overcome so far?

Time and money. I don’t really like to do a show unless it’s really seamless. Most musicians right now are involved in many different projects and so scheduling can be a bear. I’m guilty of that as well. There also is not a real rock/metal scene where I live, so traveling is essential and adds to expenses. 

9) Well, can you tell us about this great instrumental album “GCB”. Awesome guitar work! You seem that you enjoyed the recordings, right?

Thanks again, much appreciated. It was a pandemic project. It is a collection of tracks spanning from the 80s through today. Kind of a retrospective. Some tracks were released before the internet and social media and I wanted to spread it out farther in the world. Of course, trying to get the mastering right so the old tunes had the same quality as the new tunes was a challenge but I think it turned out well. 

10) What do you like to do when not performing or practicing? What’s your world like outside of music? Any hobbies or fun stuff?

I’m a huge aerospace/astronomy nerd. It brings me peace looking at the stars and helps realize most of the things we stress about are so unimportant compared to the universe. 

11) What are the band’s immediate plans for 2022?

Very busy. My band Age of Fire is finishing up an EP and should be out late Spring. I have a string trio I’m finishing for a group as well as a work for string quartet and electric guitar that will premiere in August. The physical release of “GCB” will be out on Soman records July 30. I’ll be performing in Ireland next month. I also have sketches for a follow up to “GCB” as well. Hoping to hit the stage in Summer for “GCB” support and Age of Fire late Summer. Very grateful to be so busy.

12) I want to thank you for taking the time out of your extremely busy schedule to speak with us today. Do you have any last words or messages that you would like to share with everyone out there?

I just want to a say thank you for the interview. A huge huge thank you to all who have supported me in my musical efforts over the years. Please reach out to me on social media. Hope to see you on the road!!!!



sw

No comments:

Post a Comment