Breaking

5.13.2023

Overhate interview: "It was always about bringing a positive message..."

    
1. Hails Overhate! How is it going in Caracas these days?

It is ok, from my point of view. I tend to joke saying ‘Caracas Returns’ because it slowly looking like it did about 10 years ago, in terms of traffic and ‘things you could do to have some fun’. But it is ok, I have to say.

    2. How did you start the band, almost 20 years ago? Please give us a biography of yours. 

I got together with 3 guys that needed a singer, and the band I used to play in ended around that time. Then for some time I just sang, and then the bass player left the band so I grabbed the bass and did the two duties. So the four of us started Overhate from there, recorded our first album ‘God in a trench’ and did some shows here and there. Then one of the guitarists left the band in order to relocate, so I switched to guitar because that’s my original instrument. Then we recorded relentless is our strength and toured heavily behind it, then the crisis in Venezuela came to be, and everyone relocated out of the country (except for me, I love Venezuela lol). Long story short we did our third record in the distance and the show goes on, just that now it’s just a bit different.

    3. Before proceeding to your latest effort, “New Beginnings Are Met”, let’s have a talk regarding Venezuela, as most people don’t know much of your metal scene.  So how is the scene there? Are there enough bands, fans, venues to perform live etc? And what is the main difference comparing to 20 years ago and the beginning of the band?

It used to be a very solid metal scenes, lots of places to play in most of the cities, lots of international shows, lots of bands doing records, etc. Then there is not to many people here left. You are still able to play, as there are still some nice places to do it, just that not with the same frequency, I may say.

    4. Ok, to Overhate now. You play a somehow modern kind of thrash metal, with grooves and even some prog elements (in terms of technique). Is there a statement in your music (and even the name band) for social matters? 

It was always about bringing a positive message, and I say that as the lyricist for the band. The first record wasn’t much of a social album, but ‘Relentless is Our Strength’ and ‘New Beginnings are Met’ are. Those records mean a lot to me. I kind of knew what lyrics to put to the music we are doing. Nowadays, since we are a bit older everything is kind of more mature, but I still write a lot about social issues as they are just about everywhere, just with a different language.

    5. “New beginnings Are Met” is your third album. How do you think the band has developed from 2007’s “God in a Trench” until today? What are the main differences you recognize in terms of music and production?

It is an album that comprises everything we have stood for. Musically is the more mature album, it is the heaviest in my opinion, and some of the songs are pretty much the more complex we’d ever get. That in terms of the music I will say it is our genre defining album. In production, we used a different approach this time being in the distance. Ronald recorded his drum tracks and also used some technology to it in the mix, many people tend to say it is a drum machine and it is not. With guitars this time I used guitar layering, which was kind of a long process but I can’t complain on the result. It is the first time that it took days to finish all the guitar tracks, because I only did about two songs on each session, so guitar tracking took about 2 weeks lol. I did the vocals at my studio in my house, which is where we should always record the vocals definitely.

    6. Among your last two albums there is a big, 9 years, break. Is there any certain reason that took you all these years to record a new album?

Well, when we started preproducing what became ‘New beginnings are Met’, there were some tensions in the band, in the prior lineup. The only member from that lineup still in the band is Samir, the bass player. Our last drummer wasn’t happy with the direction we were taking to the new record and he became a hard person to work with (to put it lightly) and our guitarist wanted a very different approach to the record, and when he decided to relocate outside of Venezuela his heart just wasn’t into making the new record. That’s why it took too long in a nutshell and that is why it is named that way.

    7. How do you see the future of Overhate? Any plans for the successor of “New Beginnings…”?

Yes. We are planning our first Europe tour, we will release a standalone single, which is a left over from ‘New Beginnings are Met’ and a new video, for the song ‘Our Problem’ which is a very cool track. The new record is completely written, after all this we will end up reviewing the songs, finishing them, recording them and releasing this new record. I also love it, but you’ll get to hear it when it comes out.

    8. Thanks a lot for this interview. Last words are yours. 

Thank you for having my band! See you all on the road by the end of this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment