Breaking

7.19.2021

Barbara Black interview: "We love listening to different music styles and that´s why we enjoy melting metal with country, southern rock or even gospel."


1) Good afternoon! Earliest memory of music, the first song that you recall hearing and also the first song of Barbara Black. Please recall your memories!

Hi! Difficult to say first song that I recall hearing, but I have a good memory looking into my parent´s vynils and discovered Sad Wings of Destiny from Judas Priest. My mother told me she bought it because she loved the cover. When I listened to the album I discovered The Ripper that really fascinated me.
The first song of Barbara Black was Shiva, a very special ballad. It was chosen for been part of Eurovision Festival in 2017 by AEV in Toledo, Spain. We really love this song.

2) “Love, Death & Flies”, I think, is probably your best work. How do you view it? Is this just a natural progression from what you had previously created?

Yes! Our previous album “Ad Libitum” was a fusion of rock with country, blues and gospel. But when we started composing “Love, Death & Flies” we felt that we needed the power of metal on stage, cause we are metalheads! Hahahah. The thing is that that year ha been hard for all of us and we needed the power of metal in our songs.


3) I assume that would be difficult to express this great album, live? What do you think about your live performances?

If everyone studies the songs at home, when it comes time for rehearsal there are no big problems. Our live concerts are very well worked and we try to enrich them with some dramatic aspect.

4) You still have a distinct sound that is exclusive and unique to you. What is your opinion and how do you create songs?

I think that the main characteristic of our sound is the fusion. We love listening to different music styles and that´s why we enjoy melting metal with country, southern rock or even gospel. We are used to share musical ideas in the music room and develop them all together.

5) Do you still listen to other bands? I mean, obviously, you have some early influences about the band but do you still listen to new stuff?

Yes of course! I really love listening to In This Moment, Black Stone Cherry, Shinedown, Sixx A.M., Halestorm and not only metal, I love Lady Gaga or Beth Hart from other styles.

6) Are you open to other musical genres and styles? Maybe to play something different on new projects or just listening to weird stuff?

Yes of course it´s the best way to keep learning. In fact I had some years ago a jazz band called Vintage Jazz Cabaret and we were used to play in a restaurant every Wednesday, in weddings and parties.


7) Do you have a favorite live or studio album, for example, that you still go back and listen to?

Yes! I really love Lean into it from Mr Big, I have listened to it a hundred of times.

8) Who would you say has been the most underrated band of all time? And why?

Unfortunately there are so many great bands and musicians that nobody knows that it´s impossible to say only one. (Dilana, Bridge to nowhere, Blues Saraceno, Rayz…).

9) What about your new stuff? Plans for a new album or new music?

We are going to play in the streaming Argentina Online Metal Fest the next July 23rd, 24th and 25th, we are gonna play live in Madrid the next September 10th, we are going to shoot our next videoclip, and we have new dates for 2022 in Valencia and Madrid, so we can´t wait to all of these great music plans. Of course we are working on our next album.

10) Do you find it easier or more difficult these days about music?

Many bands, a lot of talent and in many cases success is not related to it, the music business is really tough.


11) Outside of music, what do you enjoy doing?

I love traveling and know new places, I love watching series, but one of the things I love the most is sharing time with my animals (Ozzy, Sasha, Myles & Bowie <3).

12) Okay, that’s great. Thank you, very much and good luck.

Thank you so much for this great interview.

Love&Rock.
Bárbara Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment