Breaking

10.13.2019

Crashdïet: Rust (2019)


Luckily, since the MP-NE is not really a so called music magazine, but rather a blog, I can be subjective.

I discovered Crashdïet around the "Generation Wild" era, while I was searching for new bands on YouTube. I was captured by the youthful energy of their melodic but heavy music, that reminded me of my favorite bands (Skid Row, G N' R, Spread Eagle, Every Mother's Nightmare...) from the 90s. Anyway, they are still around in some way. Then Simon left the band. Well, I was frigthened that one of my favorite bands had gone, but it gave me some hope, that the rest members remained active. And here we are by the new chapter of the guys' career called Rust. All at once, a news came about a young vocalist Gabriel Keyes who became the frontman. Videos were released promoting the new songs and I was full of happiness on the basis of what I saw and heard that Crashdïet had resurrected! And the new album was released in September. It was not a question that I had to get this CD.

I was not disappointed in the guys. No changes in the style, the songs are as fresh as the older ones. What is more, Gabriel also took part in the songwriting along with Martin. Furthermore, Eric Bazilian and Johnny Gunn helped them out, as well. As I mentioned before, the band presented more songs before the releasing of the album. So, let the videos speak for themselves (,too)!


Rust. It is a really good opening. I think, the band's motto can be found in this song:
"Like diamonds in the rough
A legacy we trust
In times like these
We've gotta hold on to what we've got"
Into The Wild. Well, this song is one of my biggest personal favorites from this album. It is cool, heavy and its refrain is incredible. It is about environmental pollution, climate change that are among the biggest issues in these days. It would be time to act not only "sitting on our asses and only complaining".


Idiots. Be ourselves, noone tells us what we should be like, what we have to do. The music video evokes the VHS era of the 80s and the 90s referring to the Crashdiet's roots. Some "memes" pop up like for example the "car scene" from Wayne's World or Ozzy's cooking with the orange juice pouring that "fails", Chris Holmes' drinking in the pool... 


In The Maze. It is slower song. We are wandering among memories of a relationship that link us but build walls between us at the same time. But we still hope, we will meet some day again.


We Are The Legion. It was the first new song that fans could hear. It contains that the band stood up again and the guys are not negligible. For me, it has some "Youth Gone Wild" (Skid Row) feeling.

"Crazy" lets us take a look inside an insane relationship, while we face the fact in the song "Parasite" what it is like when you want to get rid of someone who just preys upon you.

"Waiting For Your Love" is a ballad. Various thoughts have whriled in my mind. Obviously, a relationship ended, but there is also the thought of passing between the lines. It is not when the feeling fades away, but the breath of death hides there. (Maybe, I have such imaginations because I am sitting in the office and the "siege" of clients is very close :P.)


Reptile. If I remember correctly, it was the second new song and I said, "Wow! It was worth trusting the band! Crashdïet has resurrected!" "I'm here to survive". Indeed :)!

"Stop Weirding Me Out" is a more easy-going song, "Filth & Flowers" visualizes the duality of the soul.


Maybe, I was waiting for this album with the biggest curiosity recently. Anything can happen to a band during a six-year hibernation. People can be replaced, the band's style can change or the members can give up... I can declare firmly, Crashdïet remains itself!

Trackist:
  1. Rust
  2. Into The Wild
  3. Idiots
  4. In The Maze
  5. We Are The Legion
  6. Crazy
  7. Parasite
  8. Waiting For Your Love
  9. Reptile
  10. Stop Weirding Me Out
  11. Filth & Flowers
Crashdïet:
Gabriel Keyes (vocals)
Martin Sweet (guitar backing vocals)
Peter London (bass guitar, backing vocals)
Eric Young (drums, backing vocals)

www.crashdiet.org

No comments:

Post a Comment